Goodbye Kansas Studios is seeking a Houdini FX Artist to join our brand new team in Vancouver.
Using commercial and proprietary software and tools you will be responsible for creating FX simulations to facilitate producing top-notch visuals. You’ll be working closely with surrounding departments such as animation, lighting and comp in order to reach the visual goals provided by the Art Department and Supervisors. A high level of artistic quality is valued, but it is equally important that all artists have a high level of understanding when it comes to technical aspects.
What we offer:
- A fun, creative, international and inclusive environment.
- Opportunities for personal growth, a wide variety of projects and experienced co-workers that collaborate and share knowledge.
- Flexible working hours encouraging work-life balance.
- Group pension plan and an industry-leading extended healthcare package.
- A modern, high performance state-of-the-art virtual office with a central physical location for in-person team meetings.
- To create FX simulations as briefed by the VFX/CG Supervisor that either emulate the physical world or on occasion design effects of supernatural phenomenon
- Work closely with other members of the team to determine the best approach to solving CG challenges and developing the final effect
- To package up simulations in order to pass on to a Lighting TD or to output final renders for comp
- Using a variety of commercial and proprietary FX tools such as Houdini
- To composite all FX elements in Nuke to present in dailies for Supervisors to review
- Staying on schedule and meeting set deadlines while maintaining the highest levels of quality
- Participate in regular department meetings and provide information on workload and possible issues to the Head Of Department
- 3+ years production experience using Houdini in film or high end TV
- A thorough knowledge of Houdini
- Experience producing effects such as smoke, fire, clouds, water, steam and explosions in addition to simulation techniques for rigid-bodies, cloth and hair
- Ability to light and rendering your simulations using manta or other renderer in houdini
- Have strong experience of exporting simulations for use in other packages and ability problem solve any pipe issues that might occur
- A thorough understanding of the techniques and technologies relating to FX simulation
- Knowledge of a compositing application preferably Nuke and a solid understanding of the compositing process
- Strong Vex, hscript skills
- Team oriented
- Professional aptitude and good communication skills
Able to take direction and feedback positively
- Proactive, motivated and able to problem solve effectively
- Organised and punctual with a strong work ethic
- Adaptable and always open to learning new techniques and softwares
Additional Desired skills:
- Knowledge of VRay for Houdini
- Python and Unix shell scripting
- Experience using Maya nCloth
Goodbye Kansas Studios offers award-winning and uniquely integrated services for feature films, TV series, commercials, games and game trailers. Expertise includes VFX, FX, CG productions, 3D Face & Body Scanning, Digital Humans, Creature & Character design, Performance Capture, Animation and RealTime expertise. The company, with a staff of 250+ is part of Goodbye Kansas Group AB (publ), listed on the Nasdaq First North Growth Market and with studios and offices in Stockholm, London, Helsinki, Vilnius, Belgrade, Beijing, Los Angeles, Manila and Vancouver.