Goodbye Kansas London is looking to recruit an experienced Financial Controller for their London studio, to proactively manage the London Studio accounts, budgets and financial systems.
Working closely with the Senior Management Team in both London and Stockholm, this is a hands-on role responsible for both the management accounting and financial accounting of a Visual Effects Facility which services the Film and Television Industries.
We are looking for a qualified accountant, ideally with media facility experience, who is a strong communicator and enjoys working within a small team.
The Financial Controller is a new role for the London studio, managing accounts, budgets and financial systems ensuring that they are accurate and up to date.
The Financial Controller ensures that GBK London’s financial systems and controls are robust and that GBK London is legally compliant with regards to its financial reporting. They are expected to work proactively with the senior management team. The Financial Controller will report directly to the Managing Director in London who in turn reports to the CEO in Stockholm, they will also report into the Group’s Chief Financial Officer based in Stockholm.
Initially the role will encompass bookkeeping responsibilities as we transition to have these looked after by either an outsource company (which is the current set up) or by a junior finance role.
- Produce bi-monthly management accounts for use by management and directors. This includes the overseeing / carrying out of all control account reconciliations and the completion of other month end procedures. Prepare a written summary of the accounts to assist relevant users’ understanding of the issues identified in the accounts.
- Oversee the processing of all financial transactions, ensuring adequate documentary support, correct nominal coding and appropriate authorisation, such that the accounts system accurately reflects the financial position of GBK London.
- Work proactively with the senior management team and project managers, to ensure that the departmental and project budgets and forecasts reflect the activity as well as meet the on-going needs of GBK London, ensuring these are compliant with contractual requirements. This will require monthly review and planning meetings with Senior Managers and project leaders.
- Plan annual budget ensuring that it is robust, realistic and consistent with the business plan and company strategy.
- Prepare long-term forecasts of financial and other activities, ensuring that reserves are maintained at adequate levels for proposed levels of activity, and that planned activity does not outstrip the budget set for the year.
- Internal group reconciliation and cooperation with group accounting in Stockholm according to group reporting time plan.
- Work with the MD to increase GBK London’s income and profitability and devise strategies for strengthening the company’s sustainability year on year.
- Prepare annual statutory accounts for the company audit as well as specific project audits and other regulatory visits as required. Liaise with auditors in the audit of accounts including project audits and provide information as necessary.
- Maintain awareness of legislative reporting changes to ensure that policies meet current requirements.
- Prepare and post month end and other nominal journals as required
- Approve quarterly calculation and journals for VAT return before final submission.
Legal Compliance (Finance)
- Ensure that GBK meets all legal requirements and filing deadline in relation to direct/indirect taxation with HRMC and Companies House.
- Prepare and file GBK’s annual returns to Companies House.
- Work with the CFO to identify and mitigate key financial risks.
- Prepare and manage monthly payroll alongside HR Manager.
- Prepare and manage pension data before it is submitted to the pension provider(s).
- Post the payroll and pension journal and reconcile each month the payroll and pension control accounts.
- Reconcile all cash balances.
- Prepare, manage and monitor short term and longer term (12 months) cash flow forecast.
- Oversee weekly supplier payment run.
- Chase all debtors ensuring paid on a timely basis
- Maintain company insurances alongside HR & Operations Manager.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Qualified accountant.
- Strong IT skills and proficiency with Xero, including project accounting and other key software like Excel, Word etc..
- Several years of strong controls experience.
Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Good presentation skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent administrative skills and an ability to work to deadlines.
- A proactive team player.
- Knowledge of and/or interest in the Film, TV and VFX industry.
KEY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Place of work: Soho, London.
Hours and workload: Part time role (at least 24 hours per week with flexible working)
20 days’ holiday pro rata (rising with service)
Notice: The termination of the post will be subject to two calendar months’ notice on either side.
Probationary Period: The first three months will be a probationary period.