About the position
The Layout Artist is responsible for creating camera moves, rough blocking of environments and animation establishing a common, technically accurate 3d space and scale. Layout Artists work closely with the Animation Director and Visual Effects Supervisor to establish composition, timing, and continuity for each shot. When live-action photography is involved, the Layout Artist accurately recreates the set, camera moves, and actor performances to allow for seamless effects integration. The Layout Artist works as part of the layout team which acts as a central hub for all shot preparation to ensure continuity and camera accuracy in CG Elements.
What we offer:
- A fun, creative, international and inclusive environment.
- Opportunities for personal growth, a wide variety of projects and experienced co-workers that collaborate and share knowledge.
- Flexible working hours encouraging work-life balance.
- Pension (tjänstepension) and Promotion of Health & Fitness allowance (friskvårdsbidrag).
- A modern and newly built office in Hammarby Sjöstad that is sustainable - designed for Goodbye Kansas and the environment.
- Create scenes and shots by placing characters, props and environments according to the storyboard/previz;
- Environment set-up for motion capture shoots.
- Put the characters in key poses to define their actions and movements in the correct 3D environment;
- Define camera angles and animate them, if applicable;
- Check the conformity and continuity of the sequences;
- Execute the corrections requested by the Supervisor and the Director by showing an analytic mind;
- Organize work and prepare presentation elements for approval;
- Good communication and seek information if necessary;
- Performs environment/scene setup verifying correct assets are being used, edit ranges are correct, and generating initial data for downstream artists including animation/TDs/comp, lidar processing, set dressing (i.e. Scene setup)
- Creates creative camera work for non-plate shots and camera takeover shots; originate entirely CG camera animation (i.e. CG camera work)
- Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for Animators and Technical Directors
- Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines
- Must have a willingness to learn new tools, proven ability to be detail-oriented and to work efficiently within a production environment.
Requirements and personal qualities:
- Minimum 3 years Layout / Previz Artist experience in a film production environment / TV productions or visual effects;
- Have a good eye for image composition (direction) and good knowledge of cameras;
- Knowledge of Maya, 3dEqualizer (or other tracking software) required. Knowledge of Motion builder and Nuke is a plus.
- Be comfortable within a LINUX / UNIX environment;
- Advanced English level
The Goodbye Kansas group consists of Goodbye Kansas Studios, Infinite Entertainment, Goodbye Kansas Labs and Goodbye Kansas Holding, with a staff of 200+ in Sweden, London, Hamburg and Los Angeles. We offer award-winning and uniquely integrated services for feature films, TV series, commercials, games and game trailers. Expertise includes VFX, FX, CGI, 3D Face & Body Scanning, Digital Humans, Creature & Character design, Motion Capture, Animation and RealTime expertise. We also create, develop and manage original IPs.